BRITTANY RUNS A MARATHON – “A comically sincere bit of cinematic inspiration”

brittany-runs-a-marathon1

RATING

DIRECTOR

Paul Downs Colaizzo (directorial debut)

STARRING

  • Jillian Bell as Brittany Forgler
  • Michaela Watkins as Catherine
  • Utkarsh Ambudkar as Jern
  • Lil Rel Howery as Demetrius
  • Micah Stock as Seth
  • Alice Lee as Gretchen
  • Peter Vack as Ryan

SYNOPSIS

A hard-partying woman receives a startling wake-up call when a visit to the doctor reveals how unhealthy she is. Motivated to lose weight, she soon takes up running to help her prepare for her ultimate goal of competing in the New York City Marathon.

REVIEW SUMMARY

Brittany Runs A Marathon crosses the finish line as a comically sincere bit of cinematic inspiration. Despite the title, the film is actually only about 40% “motivational sports movie,” with the remaining 60% falling under the “rom-com” umbrella. The usual genre clichés of the latter are especially prevalent here, in that you’ll likely know exactly where things are headed from the movie’s starting line. Predictability aside however, the film boasts a breakout performance from Jillian Bell, who brings Brittany to life rather perfectly. Bell is given ample opportunity to show off some of her previously unseen dramatic chops (who knew), while still nailing it when it comes to her comedic bread and butter. You’ll laugh with her, feel for her, and perhaps most importantly for a story of this nature, root for her. It’s all very effortlessly enjoyable, making for a harmless and sweet viewing experience. So while Brittany Runs A Marathon might not necessarily have you racing to the nearest treadmill afterwards, it’ll surely give way to a sense of runners high… without even having to break a sweat. Not a bad deal at all.

BOX OFFICE TOP 5

ThumbIcon_Volcano_1

8

IT Chapter Two
$40.7 million

Explosion Thumb

8.5

Hustlers
$33.2 million

Flaming Thumb

5.5

Angel Has Fallen
$4.4 million

Flaming Thumb

7

Good Boys
$4.3 million

Flaming Thumb

6.5

The Lion King
$3.5 million 

RECENT NEWS