KNIVES OUT – “A whip smart Whodunnit for modern times”
Rian Johnson (Star Wars: The Last Jedi – 2017)
- Daniel Craig as Detective Benoit Blanc
- Chris Evans as Hugh "Ransom" Drysdale
- Ana de Armas as Marta Cabrera
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Linda Drysdale
- Michael Shannon as Walter "Walt" Thrombey
- Don Johnson as Richard Drysdale
- Toni Collette as Joni Thrombey
- Lakeith Stanfield as Detective Lieutenant Elliot
- Katherine Langford as Megan "Meg" Thrombey
- Jaeden Martell as Jacob Thrombey
- Christopher Plummer as Harlan Thrombey
A wealthy crime novelist invites his extended dysfunctional family to his remote mansion on his 85th birthday in hopes of reuniting them all. The day after the birthday party, he is found dead. The police, along with experienced detective Benoit Blanc, are called in to investigate.
Rejoice murder mystery fans, Rian Johnson’s Knives Out is a whip smart Whodunnit for modern times! But while this is a contemporary take, there are lots of fun nods and homages to murder mystery films of the past, making for quite the love letter to the genre. And as you might expect, this movie is one that will have you playing armchair detective throughout, hanging on every bit of dialogue and revelation that comes your way. The key to it all however, is the satisfying conclusion, as it strikes the right balance between not being overly convoluted, and yet not overly simplistic. The stellar cast is also put to good use here, as each one gives way to wonderfully juicy portrayals, delivering their respective witty dialogue with biting precision (seriously, there’s not a weak link in the bunch). The movie’s polished production elements are also enjoyable, as is the stylized camera work and gleefully suspenseful soundtrack. There are a few misses in the twisty plot though (don’t worry, no spoilers), but it’s not nearly enough to take away from the mammoth amount of fun this movie provides. There’s no mystery here, Knives Out is a must watch!